2. When cleaning your house,
never allow your dog access to the
area where cleaning agents are used or stored. Cleaning agents
have a variety of properties. Some may only cause a mild
stomach upset, while others could cause severe burns of the
tongue, mouth, and stomach.
3. When using rat or mouse baits,
ant or roach traps, or snail
and slug baits, place the products in areas that are inaccessible to
your animals. Most baits contain sweet smelling inert ingredients,
such as jelly, peanut butter, and sugars, which can be very attracting
to your dog.
4. Never give your dog ANY medications
unless under the directions of
veterinarian. Many medications that are used safely in humans can be
deadly when used inappropriately. One extra strength acetaminophen
tablet (500 mg) can cause severe liver damage to a 10 lb. dog. One
half of a regular strength naproxen (200 mg) could cause stomach
ulcers in the same size dog.
5. Keep all prescription and
over the counter drugs out of reach
of your dogs, preferably in closed cabinets. Pain killers, cold medicines,
anti-cancer drugs, antidepressants, vitamins, and diet pills are common
examples of human medication that could be potentially lethal even in
small dosages. Less than one regular strength ibuprofen (200 mg) could
cause stomach ulcers in a 10 lb. dog, and about six could cause kidney
Never throw medications away
in the trash can. The trash can
is better than a four star restaurant to most dogs! Instead, flush all
unwanted medications away in the toilet.
6. Never leave chocolates unattended.
Approximately one half
ounce or less of chocolate per pound body weight can cause
problems. Even small amounts can cause pancreatic problems.
7. Many common household items
have been shown to be lethal
in certain species. Miscellaneous items that are highly toxic even in low
quantities include pennies (high concentration of zinc), mothballs (one
or two balls can be life threatening in most species), potpourri oils,
fabric softener sheets, automatic dish detergents (contain cationic
detergents which could cause corrosive lesions), batteries (contain acids
or alkali which can also cause corrosive lesions), homemade play dough
(contains high quantity of salt), heat source agents like hand or foot warmers
(contain high levels of iron), cigarettes, coffee grounds, and alcoholic drinks.
8. All automotive products such
as oil, gasoline, and antifreeze, should be
stored in areas away from pet access. As little as one tablespoon of antifreeze
could be lethal to a 10 lb. dog.
If a leakage of such products
is discovered, you should remove all pets from
the area before cleaning the spill.
9. Before buying or using flea
products on your dog or in your household,
contact your veterinarian to discuss what types of flea products are
recommended for your pet.
Read ALL information before using
a product on your dogs or in your
home. Always follow label instructions.
When a product is labeled "for
household use only" this means
that the product should NEVER be applied to your dog. Also
be aware of animal size and age restrictions of products used
on your dogs.
When using a flea fogger or a
house spray, make sure to remove
all pets from the area for the time period specified on the container.
If you are uncertain about the usage of any product, contact the
manufacturer or your veterinarian to clarify the directions BEFORE
use of the product.
10. When treating your lawn or
garden with liquid fertilizers,
herbicides, or insecticides, always keep your animals away from
the area until the area dries completely.
Before application, you should discuss usage of products around
pets with the manufacturer of the products. Always store such
products in an area that will ensure no possible animal exposure,
preferably, in a secured cabinet.